Most homeowners avoid installing granite countertops. This is because the countertops need more maintenance than the quartz countertops and other alternatives. This is true to a certain extent. The first thing you must realize that there are many styles of granite kitchen countertops Toronto, and they are not meant equally. No matter which one you like the most; the granite countertops deliver remarkable aesthetic in kitchens and bathrooms. Such countertops are not only very elegant but also very sturdy and not scratchable.
Granite is also preferred for kitchen and bathroom countertops, as it is stain-resistant and when properly sealed it doesn’t absorb liquids. But now the question arises when to or when not to seal the granite countertops? There is a simple water test to determine whether or not your countertops need to be sealed. Here’s how:
- On the granite countertop, pour around 1⁄4 cup of water.
- Note the time you do you pour the water on granite and in how much time the water is being absorbed?
- The granite darkens as water is absorbed.
- You can use this chart to decide exactly how often you have to seal your granite countertops.
- Fast absorption: You need to add multiple layers of sealer each year and clean the spills quickly.
- Absorption 4 to 5 minutes: You need to install multiple sealer layers, but need to repeat every three to five years.
- Make sure to use this water test before the sealer is reapplied.
- A single layer of sealer needs 10 minutes for full absorption. You may not have to use the sealer again for years.
- If 30 minutes are passed but there is no absorption, no need for sealing.
Granite countertop has many advantages. Now, the limitations of these countertops do exist. The greatest weakness is water absorption. However, the good news is that, as you have seen any absorption, there is a solution for it.
If you don’t mind sealing your granite countertops once in a while, and you love the look and durability of these countertops. Before installing granite countertops, always consult a professional installer. All countertops are not built in the same way. Some are better than others, so consult an experienced installer for choosing the best ones. Moreover, it is important to consider where the countertops are going to be installed. You need to ensure that they blend well in the kitchen or bathroom. Choosing the right design is another secret behind getting the best performance.