Summers across the country can be very hot. On an average day, it isn’t uncommon for the temperature to reach 90 degrees or over. Because it gets so hot, many people spend more time in their air-conditioned homes to escape the heat. The last thing you want during the hottest time of the year is for your air conditioner to break down. The best way to avoid a complete breakdown is to recognize the early signs that you need to call a Denver air conditioning repair company, or repair company in any other city. If you ignore the issue, a minor issue can quickly escalate to a major one.
Signs Your Air Conditioner Needs Repair
- Warm Air Coming From the Vents: The most obvious sign there is an issue with your air conditioner is warm air coming from the vents. Before you call a professional, make sure your thermostat is set correctly. There are a few issues that could cause this problem such as a faulty compressor, thermostat issues or a frozen evaporator coil. An HVAC professional can inspect the system to find the cause and make the necessary repair.
- Poor Airflow: Poor airflow from the vents can make it difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. There are a few issues that can cause this issue, such as clogged air ducts, cracked air ducts or a faulty blower. An air conditioning company can determine the cause of the problem so the airflow can be restored.
- Strange Sounds: A properly functioning air conditioner shouldn’t make any more noise than a quiet clicking when the system kicks on and off. Any other sounds, such as a banging, rattling or screeching signifies an issue that should be repaired immediately.
- Leaks: Moisture or water pooling around your unit is a major cause for concern. There could be a clog or crack in the condensate hose, which is easy to fix, but should not be ignored. The issue could also be a refrigerant leak, which is a very serious issue. Refrigerant is harmful to humans, and without enough refrigerant, the system won’t function properly. An HVAC tech can determine where the moisture or pooling liquid is coming from so they can make the necessary repairs.
- Thermostat Issues: The thermostat is your HVAC system’s brain. It tells the system when to kick on and off, and is responsible for keeping your home at the desired temperature. If the thermostat is faulty, the system won’t function properly. There are a few signs that your thermostat isn’t working properly. If it is non-responsive, the system kicks on and off constantly or the system won’t kick on, you should call an air conditioning company.
Is Routine Maintenance Necessary?
According to Energy.gov, many air conditioning issues are due to inadequate maintenance. During a maintenance check, an HVAC company can tune up your system, replace the air filter, check the compressor and fans and recalibrate the system if necessary. The HVAC tech can also detect minor issues during the maintenance service, which can prevent issues in the middle of the summer.
Summer is the busiest time of year for an HVAC tech. Therefore, it is best to schedule your appointment for routine maintenance before the cooling season begins.